Before the day of enrolling your child to a care centre, ensure that you talk to your child first. Tell them about the centre they will be joining and activities they’ll be engaging in.
– Visit the centre with your kids to make them Child care familiar with the new environment, and meet the staff and other children. Children ask a lot of questions about new things. Ensure that you answer all your child’s questions clearly. Also, try and observe your child’s behaviour while at the centre.
– On the first day of leaving your child at the centre, arrive at least 15 minutes earlier than normal time. Use this time to engage in an activity with your boy/girl. If he/she enjoys the activity and the new environment, it will be easy for you to leave. Take your time before leaving to allow yourself time to observe your child.
– You can allow your kids to carry toys from home. These will help them adjust easily because they will have something familiar with them.
– Your body language and facial expressions communicate a lot to your child. Try not to be emotional while seeing them off. This will affect their emotions too.
– Never creep out of the centre as this might make the situation worse. Talk to your kids and assure them that you’ll be coming back for them after work and that you will be checking up on them regularly. Assure them that they are okay and safe at the centre.
– After some time, children get used to the centre. At this point, you can even ask relatives to drop them at the centre without any worry.
– In case your child is having problems with the centre or another child is trying to bully him/ her, try and talk to the care provider. Both of you should seek to solve the problem before it becomes worse.
– Once your child adjusts to this life, never break the routine.
– Remember that every child is different. If your child takes time to adjust, try and be patient with him/ her.
– Ensure that you are always in good terms and working together with the care provider.
These tips will help you a great deal in ensuring that your child adjusts to the new environment and is comfortable being there. Always study your child’s behaviour each day. Ask about their day at the centre and let them tell you what they learnt. Have an open communication with your child’s carer. All these will help you track the progress of your son/ daughter.
Child Care Northern Beaches is a licensed child care centre. We ensure that children at the centre are comfortable, well taken care of and safe within the premises. We also work hand in hand with parents to ensure that children progress in the best way possible